Online application & Studielink
Students who have a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from Leiden University are always eligible for direct admission. They can register through Studielink. All others need to apply through Studielink and through the online application system. For more information on how to apply and the deadline for application, please find the information under how to apply.
In order to be considered for the Public Administration Master’s programme, you should possess:
- a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a Bachelor’s degree in a closely related discipline from a recognised university.
Related disciplines are considered to be Political Science, Public Management, Public Policy, Economics, Business Management, and Sociology. In exceptional cases, a bachelor’s degree in International Relations, International Studies, European Studies, or Organization Studies will be acceptable, provided that a substantial number of courses related to public administration are included in the bachelor’s programme.
In case you have a Bachelor’s degree in another discipline in the
- social and behavioral sciences (for example, Psychology)
- or the humanities (for example, History)
- and you have demonstrated academic excellence, proficiency in English, and interest in issues of public policy and administration (evidenced in, for example, the choice of elective courses, Minor programs, internships, or work experience), you might be considered for admission to a bridging programme (pre-master). Successfully completing the pre-master programme grants access to the Public Administration Master’s programme.
In case you have a Dutch higher professional education (HBO) degree in
- Public Administration or a closely-related discipline, you might be considered for admission to a bridging programme (pre-master), provided that you have demonstrated high academic potential (at least higher than average grades) and interest in issues of public policy and administration (evidenced in, for example, work experience in the field).
Documents for application
The following documents are required for the online application system:
- diploma (or indication of when you expect to graduate)
- transcript of results, preferably with grade average
- letter of motivation
- copy ID.
If you graduate or hold a diploma from a school of university outside the Netherlands you also need to upload:
- 2016-2017: Proof of sufficient proficiency in English: IELTS 7.0 / TOEFL IBT 100 / Cambridge CPE-C, evidenced by an appropriate test.
- 2017-2018: Proof of sufficient proficiency in English: IELTS overall 7.0 and band scores 6.5 or TOEFL IBT 100, band scores 22 (reading), 22 (listening), 22 (speaking) and 25 (writing) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE);: I), evidenced by an appropriate test.
This requirement does not apply if you have:
- completed your education in Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or
- an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate
The Admissions Office must receive your official sufficient English test result before the start date of your study programme. However please note that if you need a visa or residence permit, you must submit an official sufficient English test result before the Admissions Office may request your visa or residence permit.
Only the Admissions committee can inform you – after your application – about your possible admission.