Crisis and Security Management
Online application & Studielink
Students who have a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from Leiden University are always eligible for direct admission. They can register through Studielink. All others need to apply through Studielink and through the online application system. For more information on how to apply and the deadline for application, please find the information under how to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from a Dutch university, or
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration obtained from an EAPAA-accredited university
- Candidates should include a statement of purpose (maximum of 2 A4 pages) in English, in which the candidate explains his/her motivation for applying to the programme.
- The statement of purpose serves to help the Board of Admissions form an impression of the applicant and understand why he or she is interested in our Master’s programme. It should explain the reasons why the applicant would like to join the programme. This can be done by referring to one’s personal and professional background and interests, by explaining what aspects of the programme the applicant finds particularly interesting or how the programme might contribute to the achievement of the applicant’s personal goals.
Additional requirements for non-dutch students
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Public Administration, Political Science, or an equivalent Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Candidates must have obtained pass grades in the following subjects:
- Public Administration
- Organisation and Policy theory
- Research methods
Candidates who lack these subjects are required to compensate by taking courses of the Pre-Master’s programme.
- 2016-2017: Proof of sufficient proficiency in English: IELTS 7.0 / TOEFL IBT 100 / Cambridge CPE-C, evidenced by an appropriate test.
- 2017-2018: Proof of sufficient proficiency in English: IELTS overall 7.0 and band scores 6.5 or TOEFL IBT 100, band scores 22 (reading), 22 (listening), 22 (speaking) and 25 (writing) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE);: I), evidenced by an appropriate test.
This requirement does not apply if you have:
- completed your education in Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or
- an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate
- received or will receive a diploma from a Dutch institute for higher professional education (HBO) or from a Dutch university, accredited by the NVAO
Documents for application
The following documents are required: diploma (or indicate when you expect to graduate), transcript of results- preferably with grade average, CV, letter of motivation, copy ID. If you graduate from a school of university outside the Netherlands you also need to upload the TOEFL/IELTS test (or indicate when you expect the results).
Candidates who do not fully qualify for entering the master’s in Public Administration directly, or students with a diploma from an institute for higher professional education (HBO), can be admitted to the pre-master’s programme.
Admission to the pre-master is competitive. Students are admitted to the pre-master program on the basis of demonstrated academic capacity, English proficiency, and affinity to the subject of the Master programme, as evidenced by professional experience, completed courses and specialisations, or other means
Only the Admissions committee can inform you – after your application – about your possible admission.